Sunday, October 23, 2022

Graphic Novel Review: Over the Garden Wall: Tome of the Unknown by Pat McHale

Title: Over the Garden Wall: Tome of the Unknown
Author: Pat McHale
Illustrator: Jim Campbell
Publisher: KaBOOM!
Publishing Date: September 20th, 2016
Read: January 25th, 2022
Pages: 144
Audio Length: N/A
Genre: Children's Fantasy Graphic Novel
TW: N/A
Series: Over the Garden Wall Mini Series
Source: Physical from the Library 

What it's about:
Based on a Emmy Award-winning Cartoon Network miniseries, Wirt and Greg are brothers, lost in a strange and endless wood called the Unknown. To find their way home, they must make it through this eerie place, where their only guides are a sardonic bluebird named Beatrice, and an elderly Woodsman. But as things become stranger and stranger, can they find their way out...alive?


What I thought:
I've never actually seen Over the Garden Wall but this looked like a cute read, I'm a sucker for cutesie graphic novels. However, I found myself confused and pretty bored while reading it. I didn't understand what was going on most of the time, should I maybe watch the cartoon first? I don't know.  

Cover:
I think the cover is really cute! I love frog!

Story:
Like I said, I found myself pretty confused most of the time. I understand they're lost in the woods and trying to find their way home, but so much happens on the way home and it almost feels like things happen out of order, or maybe that's just my brain scrambling things up. I don't know. I think the story could be okay if it just wasn't so confusing.

Artwork: 
Their faces freak me out, I'm not going to lie. There was some pretty scenes, that's about it.

Pace: 
For what it was, this book was so slow. I kept feeling like nothing was really happening and then a little bit of stuff would happen, then it would go back to nothing happening. I was so bored.

Writing: 
I don't think I need to keep talking about how confusing this book was, but it was so confusing. Ha. 

Characters: 
The characters were okay, you don't really get to know them very well and the younger one is kind of annoying.

World building: 
The world building was pretty, there was a lot of really pretty scenes through out the book.

Ending: 
I honestly don't even remember how it ended, this book really didn't stick out in my head.

Overall:
I was hoping for a cute, quick, fun read and didn't get it.


A Little Snippet:

Possible books of likeness:

Author's info:
Website
http://www.oldsidelinghill.com/

Twitter
Patrick_McHale

Genre
Fiction, Mystery, Graphic Novels

Patrick 'Pat' McHale is a writer, storyboard artist, animator, and independent filmmaker, best known for being a former writer and creative director on the animated series Adventure Time for Cartoon Network, which he contributed to during its first five seasons. McHale also created the mini-series Over the Garden Wall.

1 comment:

I Scream, You Scream Horror Movie Challenge Intro

I Scream, You Scream Horror Movie Challenge is a feature where every month I am challenging myself to watch every movie on one bingo card. T...