Thursday, October 20, 2022

Book Review: The Compound by S.A. Bodeen

The Compound (The Compound, #1)
Title: The Compound
Author: S.A. Bodeen
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Publishing Date: April 29th, 2008
Read: January 26th, 2022
Pages: 256
Audio Length: 5 Hours 41 Mins
Genre: YA Apocalyptic Mystery Thriller
TW: N/A
Series: Book 1
Source: Audio

What it's about:
Eli and his family have lived in the underground Compound for six years. The world they knew is gone, and they've become accustomed to their new life. Accustomed, but not happy.

For Eli, no amount of luxury can stifle the dull routine of living in the same place, with only his two sisters, his father and mother, doing the same thing day after day after day.

As problems with their carefully planned existence threaten to destroy their sanctuary—and their sanity—Eli can't help but wonder if he'd rather take his chances outside.

Eli's father built the Compound to keep them safe. But are they safe—or sorry?



What I thought:
I read this book years and years ago and it's one that's always kinda stuck with me. I won't tell you why, because it's a spoiler. But whenever I think of twists and twisty turny books I always end up thinking about this book.
That being said, I also love the whole bunker thing. I loved reading about what he put in there, how he made things work, etc. I loved the mystery part of it, the whole is it or isn't it? 

Cover:
In theory the cover works for this book, but it's kind of boring for me. It's just kinda meh. I like these two covers better.


Story:
I love this story, I love the post apocalyptic part, even if it's not super action-y. I like the mystery like I said above of the whole is it or isn't it. Who can we trust? What's really going on? What kind of apocalypse is it? 
The whole being underground and having zero idea what's going on above ground is kind of scary. 
I also really want to build an underground bunker, in case SHTF, which you all should know about me if you've read my blog at all. So being able to read about it and seeing how the dad built it was really interesting to me. 
The story was part mystery thriller and part contemporary. 

Pace: 
From the moment this book starts it's a constant go go go. Even when nothing is really happening, the atmosphere in the book has you on edge and it always feels like something is happening. Because of that it made the book feel like it flew by and it made me want more.

Writing: 
I don't have anything negative to say about the writing, it wasn't bad, it wasn't the best thing ever. It was easy to read and well written I think. 

Characters: 
So I don't have a strong feeling one way or another for the characters. I think the mom is oblivious, the sister is annoying, the MC is whiny, and the dad is a grade A asshole. So I guess I hate him, but that's it. The other characters are okay.

World building: 
The world building was well done I think, there wasn't much to it but the author did a great job in describing the bunker and in writing about what would be in the bunker. I was able to picture the scene pretty well. 

Ending: 
I can't say much about the ending without giving away a big part of the book. But it definitely made the book worth reading and assures that people will want to read the second.

Narrator:
I don't have any complaints about the narrator. So I guess they're okay. 

Overall:
I really enjoyed this book, both the first and second time I read it. I still need to read the second one, so I will try to do that soon!


Possible books of likeness:


Author's info:
Website http://www.writersabodeen.com

Twitter sabodeen

Genre Young Adult, Children's

Also writes as Stephanie Stuve-Bodeen.

Stephanie is the award-winning author of the Elizabeti's Doll series of picture books, as well as several others. Her young adult novels include the award-winning The Compound and The Raft, and her next YA The Detour releases October 2015. The first two volumes of her middle grade series, Shipwreck Island and Lost, are available now.


1 comment:

  1. definitely has an interesting premise! I'm glad you enjoyed it enough to read it twice.

    ReplyDelete

I Scream, You Scream Horror Movie Challenge Intro

I Scream, You Scream Horror Movie Challenge is a feature where every month I am challenging myself to watch every movie on one bingo card. T...