Friday, October 21, 2022

Graphic Novel Review: Goldie Vance Vol 1 by Hope Larson

Title: Goldie Vance Vol 1
Author: Hope Larson
Illustrator: Brittney Williams
Publisher: BOOM! Box
Publishing Date: October 11th, 2016
Read: April 14th, 2021
Pages: 112
Audio Length: N/A
Genre: YA LGBT Mystery Graphic Novel
TW: N/A
Series: Vol 1 of 5
Source: Physical from Library
What it's about:
GOLDIE VANCE IS ON THE CASE

Sixteen-year-old Marigold "Goldie" Vance has an insatiable curiosity. She lives at a Florida resort with her dad, who manages the place, and it's her dream to one day be the hotel's in-house detective. When Walter, the current detective, encounters a case he can't crack, together they utilize her smarts, skills, and connections to solve the mystery...even if it means getting into a drag race, solving puzzles, or chasing a helicopter to do it!



What I thought:
Okay so it's been a looooong time since I read the first one of Goldie Vance, I did read books 2, 3, and 4 this year though so I'm just going to review basically the whole thing at once. Mostly because I didn't like one of the books more than the other, they're all really great.
Goldie Vance is a pretty short read and it has a great bit of mystery in it that keeps you wanting to know what happened. I really enjoyed it.


Cover:
It's a cover, it has the characters on it. It's a good one I suppose.

Story:
Like I said above the story is a mystery, it does well at not only building the mystery but also has some really good coming of age stuff in it as well. The mysteries in these books aren't scary or thrilling, they're just simple mysteries that are also pretty cute. 

Artwork:
I absolutely love the artwork of this book. It's all retro style and colors and just so adorable.

Pace:
It was a level pace, it never felt slow or like I was waiting for something to happen. It kept me interested the whole book.

Writing:
The writing is well done, like I said with the pace and the mystery.

Characters:
I loved these characters, they're all so cute and lovable, even the ones who aren't... are. Does that make sense? I think Goldie especially is written well, probably because she's the MC. But I feel a lot of growth from her as the series goes on and she's so bubbly and smart. 

Ending:
So I haven't finished the whole series yet, but the ending of the other four books were all great. Like I said, it made me want to read more without me getting frustrated that it just ended.

Overall:
A very cute, quick mystery with very lovable characters and absolutely fantastic artwork. 


A Little Snippet:
Possible books of likeness:


Author's info:
Website
http://www.hopelarson.com

Twitter
hopelarson

Hope Larson is an American illustrator and comics artist. Hope Larson is the author of Salamander Dream, Gray Horses, Chiggers, and Mercury. She won a 2007 Eisner Award. She lives in Los Angeles, California.




2 comments:

  1. A genre I have yet to read. Not sure this book inspires me to do so but a great review nevertheless.
    I'm not normally a fan of the star rating system as whilst I may rate one aspect of the story so many stars, it does not mean I'd rate the book as a whole that number of stars. I love how effectively you have used the system though, rating different aspects different number of stars and explaining why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read graphic novels, but I want to. This sure looks good. I like the illustrations.

    ReplyDelete

I Scream, You Scream Horror Movie Challenge Intro

I Scream, You Scream Horror Movie Challenge is a feature where every month I am challenging myself to watch every movie on one bingo card. T...