Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Graphic Novel Review: Hide: The Graphic Novel by Kiersten White and Scott Peterson

 

Title: Hide: The Graphic Novel
Author: Kiersten White and Scott Peterson
Illustrated by: Veronica and Andy Fish
Publisher: Ten Speed Press
Publishing Date: September 12th, 2023
Read: April 3rd, 2024
Pages: 240
Audio Length: N/A
Genre: Horror graphic novel
TW: Death of a child
Series: Standalone
Source: E-Book


What it's about:
A high-stakes hide-and-seek competition in an abandoned amusement park comes to life in this graphic novel thriller.

What would you do for $50,000? For Mack, the prize money would be life changing. She knows her time at the women’s shelter is already up. And she’s good at hiding. At least this time, her life doesn’t depend on it–or so she thinks.

The challenge is simple. All fourteen competitors must spend seven days hiding in an abandoned amusement park from dawn to dusk. There’s only one rule: Don’t get caught.

But as the people around her begin disappearing one by one, Mack realizes this competition is more dangerous than she’d imagined, and that together might be the only way to survive.

Rendered in stunning full-color art by beloved comic artist Veronica Fish, this gripping graphic adaptation of Hide fully immerses you in the chilling and page-turning horror story of Mack and her fellow competitors as they fight to make it out of the Amazement Park.

What I thought:
I really enjoyed the book version of this, so when I saw that there was a graphic novel I knew I had to read it. 
There is a lot of characters, so the audio did get a bit confusing, I love how I'm able to see the characters and there was even an intro to them all at the beginning. It made it easier. I loved reading this as a graphic novel and I wish more books had graphic novel versions.

Cover:
The colors on the cover are absolutely beautiful. I think it fits the book well.

Story:
This almost has a cabin in the woods feel to it, it's a very unique and interesting story, I remember when I read the book I was thinking wth is happening here!? Even though I knew what happened it didn't at all take away from the graphic novel.

Pace: 
It's a graphic novel so it's super fast paced, I almost feel like it was better than the book because it took out a lot of the unnecessariness (Is that a word?) of the fillers of the book. It was a quick read.

Writing: 
Graphic novels always make it a bit hard to tell how the writing is because it's usually just conversation that's written.

Characters: 
Most of the characters I found to be so annoying and self centered, there was only 2 or 3 out of them all that I actually kind of cared for.
That being said, they are written very well.

Ending: 
The ending is different than I remember from the book, not that I couldn't be remembering wrong I read it when it came out. It was a good one overall.

Artwork:
The colors and artwork are beautiful and bright and I love how it gives almost an eery feel to it, especially with it being a horror book.

Overall:
Ahh I love it almost more than the book. Almost. It was a fast paced read with a unique story and way too many characters.


A little Snippet:

Possible books of likeness:


Author's info:
Kiersten White is the #1 New York Times bestselling, Bram Stoker Award-winning, and critically acclaimed author of many books for readers of all ages, including the And I Darken trilogy, the Sinister Summer series, the Camelot Rising trilogy, Star Wars: Padawan, Hide, Mister Magic, and Lucy Undying. Her books have been published in over twenty territories, and her novel HIDE is currently in development with Universal Television and Peacock.

Website
Instagram: @AuthorKierstenWhite


Other books I've read by this author:


1 comment:

  1. Oh nice! I read this one maybe last year? I think I read it when it came out, the same as I did with the novel version. I really enjoy when novels get turned into graphic novels as well! It's a fun experience. I've a few Disney Tales and Disney Villains graphic novels piling up as well now! I still need to read some of the Disney Tales first as I'm weird like that! I think I even have a DC one to read still when they put like 4 of them out. I find it fun to read them back to back when possible!

    I do remember enjoying this story in both formats! It was a creepy fun read! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete

I Scream, You Scream Horror Movie Challenge Intro

I Scream, You Scream Horror Movie Challenge is a feature where every month I am challenging myself to watch every movie on one bingo card. T...