Saturday, May 7, 2022

Graphic Novel Review: Alice: From Dream to Dream by Giulo Macaione and Giula Macaione

Title: Alice: From Dream to Dream
Author: Giulo Macaione
Illustrator: Giula Macaione
Publisher: Boom! Box
Publishing Date: October 2nd, 2018
Pages: 144
Audio Length: N/A
Genre: YA Fantasy Graphic Novel
TW: Murder
Series: Standalone
Source: Physical
What it's about:
After moving back to Ohio, Alice is stuck sharing a bedroom with her brother, and worse, sharing his dreams! The bright spot in her life is her best friend, Jamie, but there's more history between their families than Alice realized, and there are secrets buried deep in their small town that only she’ll be able to explore...but only in her dreams!

From writer and artist Giulio Macaione (Ofelia), Alice: From Dream to Dream is an otherworldly trek into a spectacular world of dreams, nightmares, and being a teenager.


What I thought:
So I had originally picked this up because my god look at that cover, and then it mentions Alice (Like wonderland), I almost always pick up anything with "Alice" in the title and rarely does it lead me down the wrong path. But also I love anything to do with dreams. 

This, as most graphic novels are, was a quick read. I was able to read it in about half an hour, but I didn't feel like it was rushed or like there wasn't enough of it. I was able to study each page (Because the artwork is stunning), and it explained everything in the story perfectly without having too much going on. 


Cover:
The cover is absolutely stunning. The colors are gorgeous and definitely dream like, the artwork is perfect, it fits well with the story without giving too much away. 

Here is an alternate cover that I found... in another language but still gorgeous.


Artwork:
Really do I have to explain this one? Like I said above the colors fit perfectly, they're soft and gorgeous and definitely feel dreamy. It also gives a fantasy vibe, which fits. 


Story:
The book starts out with a typical teen and her typical brother, and then goes into typical teen drama at school and a boy and then BAM it goes into this crazy dreamy story and then it just doesn't stop from there. It was an interesting story I think.

Pace:
The pace was perfect for a graphic novel. 

Writing:
Graphic novels are usually hit or miss. They can write too much that makes me want to skim and my brain just doesn't accept the words, or they rely too much on the artwork to tell the story. This one I think is the perfect combination of words and artwork. 

Characters:
They were very loveable and I think that the growth was well done, which is important in a book like this. They were well written and relateable. 

World building:
The artwork really built the world. It was a beautiful one too.

Ending:
It was just an ending, it didn't leave you hanging and it closed the story well.


Overall:
It's a beautiful written and illustrated book with a unique story. 

Possible books of likeness:

Author's info:
Giulio Macaione
Born: Catania, Italy
Website: http://giuliomacaione.blogspot.it/
Twitter: giuliomacaione
Genre: Graphic Novels, Comics

Born in Catania and adopted in Palermo, I live in Bologna. Artist and author of comics, after winning the third edition of the "Eight tables for Mondo Naif" competition, I made my debut in number 25 of the magazine "Mondo Naif" by Kappa Edizioni, with the original story "Mortén". Also with Kappa Edizioni I published the comic novels "The Fag Hag" and "Falling in love in Milan", based on texts by Massimiliano De Giovanni. With Comma 22 I published my graphic novel "Ofelia", of which the spin off "The colors of the neighbor", published by Renbooks, has just been released.


Illustrator's info:
Giulia Adragna
Born:Palermo, Italy
Website: http://www.giuliaadragna.com
Genre: Graphic Novels
Giulia makes comics, illustrations, character design, digital coloring and graphics.

Since 2010 she works for the magazines Sissi la Giovane Imperatrice and Sissi Piccole Principesse, both published in Italy by Panini Kids and Il Sole di Carta.

In 2014-13 she colors the new edition of Magico Vento Deluxe, edited by Panini Comics.

In 2012 she takes part of the project Il Villaggio della Creatività, teaching illustrations to kids in school.

In 2012/2011 she collaborates with Grafimated Cartoon in the making of a short animation movie, I Vespri Siciliani.

1 comment:

  1. Terrific review. That cover and the illustrations are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

I Scream, You Scream Horror Movie Challenge Intro

I Scream, You Scream Horror Movie Challenge is a feature where every month I am challenging myself to watch every movie on one bingo card. T...